Procedure: See Adhesives, Trowel Notchings and Seam Treatments.When using tile from two or more cartons, check to be sure all pattern and lot numbers are the same to ensure proper color match. On larger installations, open several cartons and mix them as they are installed to help blend any slight shade differences from one carton to the next. Tile products with directional arrows on the back should be installed with the arrows all pointing in the same direction.Tile installed using S-515, S-525, S-700 or S-750:
- Line off entire area to be installed.
- Apply the adhesive over the area not covering the chalk lines and using the fine notching of the S-891 Trowel. You may prefer to spread and install one quarter of the room at a time.
- Allow the adhesive to set until dry-to-touch (except S-240) following the recommended open time. To test, press your thumb lightly on the surface of the adhesive in several places. If the surface feels slightly tacky as your thumb is drawn away and does not stick to your thumb, the adhesive is ready for the installation.
- Install the tile along the chalk lines, laying the field area first and then fitting in the border tile.
- Roll the floor immediately after the installation is complete for Vinyl Composition Tile with Diamond 10 Technology, Residential Tile and SAFETY ZONE in both directions using a 100-lb. roller.
- Clean adhesive from the surface of the tile using a clean white cloth dampened with a neutral detergent and water.
- Tile should not be exposed to rolling load traffic for at least 72 hours after installation to allow setting and drying of the adhesive.
Armstrong Flip Spray Adhesive:
- A clean substrate is extremely important with the use of Flip Spray Adhesive! Thoroughly sweep and vacuum the substrate first. Damp mop to remove any remaining dust or debris. Extra attention to substrate preparation is essential for a successful installation. Failure to properly clean the substrate may result in telegraphing of debris.
- Shake the can well before each use. Point can downwards, press the side of the nozzle tip as you slowly walk back and forth overlapping the spray pattern for an even spray coverage. Do not use a sweeping motion as this may cause uneven coverage. Clean up any larger drops that may occur. Refer to the provided spray patterns for proper application. The sprat patterns for tile and sheet are different. Over application, especially for sheet vinyl may cause adhesive telegraphing.
- Bond testing prior to the installation will help identify the appropriate application rate, open and working time, and any potential bonding problems to the substrate or flooring. To determine the accurate coverage rate, measure and chalk line the substrate into grids (using the appropriate square feet of area for the adhesive application) and spray the entire can of adhesive onto each measured grid area.
- Allow the adhesive to dry completely with no transfer to fingers when lightly touched. Open time will vary depending on the adhesive coverage, substrate porosity and the ambient conditions.
- Working time for the adhesive should not exceed 4 hours.
- Install the flooring as per the Armstrong recommendations for that particular material.
- Roll the floor immediately after the installation is complete with a 100 lbs. roller. Sheet flooring seams may be heat welded immediately after installation. Normal traffic may be allowed as soon as the installation, finishing and clean-up are complete. Wait 24-hours for heavy traffic or rolling loads.